1) BE REALISTIC: There are so many things that we would like to do and accomplishment. I am not one to shut down anyone’s dreams. I just think that dreams need to be more realistic. Some things cannot be accomplished in a year alone or it takes a ton of practice and skill that you aren’t able to obtain or do realistically. Timing can be a determining factor in accomplishing some dreams. If you feel that you are too old or have been working toward something for a while and haven’t seen any (as in none at all) results, then it may be time to move along. It’s not you quitting or giving up. It is, rather, you stepping away to explore other possibilities that can blossom into something magnificent. 2) RELY ON SELF-ENCOURAGEMENT: While it is great to have someone pushing and encouraging you, sometimes the best person to do that is yourself. There could be countless reasons why someone doesn’t support you, support you the way you’d like, or fall off with the support they once offered. For those unlisted reasons, it is important to still be your own backbone and motivate yourself. This is your goal to accomplish, not theirs so it makes sense for you to be your number one supporter. If you have someone in your corner who will back you and encourage you the entire way through then that is marvelous, but always be prepared for their absence.
2) RELY ON SELF-ENCOURAGEMENT: While it is great to have someone pushing and encouraging you, sometimes the best person to do that is yourself. There could be countless reasons why someone doesn’t support you, support you the way you’d like, or fall off with the support they once offered. For those unlisted reasons, it is important to still be your own backbone and motivate yourself. This is your goal to accomplish, not theirs so it makes sense for you to be your number one supporter. If you have someone in your corner who will back you and encourage you the entire way through then that is marvelous, but always be prepared for their absence.
3) ORGANIZE GOALS: I have tons of goals that I want to accomplish and they are organized in different ways. One way is to divide and set my short-terms before my long-terms. This not only helps you to better organize your goals, but it also helps you to accomplish more. With short-term goals you will see results faster and sooner which, in turn, should motivate you to keep going and accomplish more. Within your organization, also include what is most important to accomplish first. When you prioritize your life things seem easier, make more sense and you feel more relieved when you get the most important things out of the way before you get into the more leisure goals.
4) DON’T BE AFRAID TO SAY NO: We all have a soft spot for someone or something. They ask and we give. Sometimes they just say and we give. I know I love shoes! I have totes of shoes that I either have never worn or rarely wear, yet I keep buying! Since that is one of my soft spots, I set up a reward system. When I accomplish a goal, I reward myself and shoes can be one of them. I know that there are other things I am working toward that require money, or not, and are more important than shoes. So when I see something I want or something is asked of me I ask myself, do I really need them? Can I live without them? Is it imperative that I do this right now? Can I miss this event? Questions like that help me to say no and keep my focus on my goals.
5) KEEP A DAILY JOURNAL: Journals and I do not get along. After about three days I forget about them. I was given advice recently to write to myself. Every day, write to myself and talk about every little thing that happened and the lessons I learned, even if you think you didn’t learn one. I loved this exercise! In this case, I think that you should write down all of your resolutions or goals and state why you want to accomplish them and rank them by importance. For the next 365 days, write down what happened in your day, good and bad. Write down why it was good, why it was bad and how you could have made it better. While you are doing this, also record how much closer you have gotten to accomplishing your goals. To see your progress grow each day, week or month should motivate you to keep going and make you feel great about how far you’ve come.
6) STAY COMMITTED: Accomplishing goals aren’t always easy. Life happens and there is a chance you will get derailed or have to take a detour. If you keep in mind how important it is to accomplish these goals, envision the outcome and stay focused on what you ultimately want, there should be no reason why you can’t accomplish your goals. This is also why it is important to choose things realistic, believe in yourself, be organized, choose something you really want to accomplish, and keep track of your progress.
1) FOCUS ON YOU FIRST: I know you may think that it is selfish of me to name this the number one resolution for the new year, but think about it. How can you expect to make anyone else happy or be able to put out your best quality work if you aren’t at your best? Take time to focus on your health, well being, get your finances in order, prioritize, get closer to your faith if you choose. Whatever it is that will make you a better person and a better provider for your family, friends, employer, employees and so forth.
2) LIVE LIFE TO THE FULLEST: There is so much to do and see in this world. I encourage everyone to take full advantage of every sense in your body and everything this world has to offer. Explore your own city, other cities, countries, food, drinks, cultures, languages, everything that is different from you. You can begin by reading something new and out of your comfort zone. Listen to new music. Take advantage of all of your free time and have fun. Go out more, surround yourself with great energy, do what makes you happy.
3) TAKE ADVANTAGE OF EVERY GREAT (positive) OPPORTUNITY: When I was in high school, my principal gave me one piece of advice (at least of what I remember) and that was to take advantage of every opportunity I am given. I know she meant only things that will enhance my life, and it is exactly what I have done. I’ve been able to meet and talk to so many celebrities, journalists and behind the scenes people. Those who are presidents of companies like AMC Networks, Turner Networks, Sundance Channel, Free Spirit Media, and producers of shows and movies like Michael Bay. I was able to assist with a movie production, help put together media events, make documentaries, manage an online publication, and most importantly help others. I knew none of this lied in my future, but when I was presented with wonderful opportunities that I knew would enhance me I took advantage of them.
4) BE MORE OPEN MINDED: There is so much that lies in front of a blind eye. Let go of preconceived notions, prejudices and stereotypes and give something new a try. You never know what will be behind those doors and you can only imagine what can be done and accomplished with an open mind.
5) LESS ENEMIES, MORE CONNECTIONS: I mentioned a few opportunities I was afforded earlier. From those opportunities I was able to form bonds and network. I have people willing to help me better my life and further my career. Some of those people are in really high places and I’d rather have them as a connection than an enemy. There are other people who know they can count on me for certain things as well. Everyone isn’t going to like you or appreciate you. That’s fine. There is no point in wasting energy on those people. Treat them the way you would treat everyone else and keep living. Life is too short to make enemies when much more can be accomplished together that separated. Make love, not war (had a hippie moment). There is always someone who knows something you don’t and someone who can help you. Don’t shut them out.
6) RELAX: While I encourage living life and getting out, I am a HUGE fan of napping! It is easy to find yourself overworked and overwhelmed. When you find yourself in this predicament, stressed or depressed, just take a step back and take time for yourself. Relaxing could be going out and having fun, spending time with family or friends or running a hot bath, reading a good book, watching a great movie, listening to soothing music or napping. Whatever it is, do it.
7) IF YOU CAN’T CHANGE IT, LET IT GO: That’s it. You will literally kill yourself trying to fix something that you have no control over. You have to let it go and move on. I hate saying it will be OK, so I will say life goes on.
I hope you all enjoy your New Year’s Eve and your New Year’s Day. I hope I was able to help someone. If all else fails, just enjoy living life day by day. What is meant to be will be.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!